METROPOLIS ARCHITECTURE PLLC 315 N. Spruce Street Suite 299 Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101 336.725.1400
PROJECTS
DESIGNATED AS A FORSYTH COUNTY LANDMARK by THE WSFC HISTORIC RESOURCES COMMISSION RECIPIENT OF THE 2014 WINSTON-SALEM, DOWNTOWN PARTNERSHIP’S EXCELLENCE AWARD NOMINATED FOR THE GERTRUDE S. CARRAWAY AWARD OF MERIT BY PRESERVATION NORTH CAROLINA The YWCA Administration building was constructed in the heart of what is now the Historic West End District of Winston-Salem, N.C. Construction was completed in 1942 and beginning in 1957, three additional buildings provided a swimming pool, a therapeutic pool, and a Link building that connected the additions with the Administration building. The later additions were demolished so that custom, single family homes could be constructed on the remaining property. The renovation resulted in seven condominiums that range from 2,670 to 1,010 square feet. Design goals for the project included, repair the building’s declining physical condition, minimize alterations to the building’s exterior design while providing modern amenities and systems such as a new mechanical systems, ADA accessibility, provide resident parking, create condominium designs whose space plans preserve the distinctive interior features of the building, partition the building in a manner that preserves the integrity of the existing floor level changes and the most significant interior rooms and spaces. The administration building received the local landmark designation by the W-S Historic Resources Commission and it was selected for a 2015 excellence award by the W-S, Downtown Partnership.
PROJECTS METROPOLIS ARCHITECTURE PLLC 315 N. Spruce Street Suite 299 Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101 336.725.1400
DESIGNATED AS A FORSYTH COUNTY LANDMARK by THE WSFC HISTORIC RESOURCES COMMISSION RECIPIENT OF THE 2014 WINSTON-SALEM, DOWNTOWN PARTNERSHIP’S EXCELLENCE AWARD NOMINATED FOR THE GERTRUDE S. CARRAWAY AWARD OF MERIT BY PRESERVATION NORTH CAROLINA The YWCA Administration building was constructed in the heart of what is now the Historic West End District of Winston-Salem, N.C. Construction was completed in 1942 and beginning in 1957, three additional buildings provided a swimming pool, a therapeutic pool, and a Link building that connected the additions with the Administration building. The later additions were demolished so that custom, single family homes could be constructed on the remaining property. The renovation resulted in seven condominiums that range from 2,670 to 1,010 square feet. Design goals for the project included, repair the building’s declining physical condition, minimize alterations to the building’s exterior design while providing modern amenities and systems such as a new mechanical systems, ADA accessibility, provide resident parking, create condominium designs whose space plans preserve the distinctive interior features of the building, partition the building in a manner that preserves the integrity of the existing floor level changes and the most significant interior rooms and spaces. The administration building received the local landmark designation by the W-S Historic Resources Commission and it was selected for a 2015 excellence award by the W-S, Downtown Partnership.